UPDATE: Following recent health and safety recommendations pertaining to COVID-19 in Canada, our in-person classes have all been cancelled until further notice.
We have created an online webclass for students who are interested in attending from the comfort of their home.
Now being conducted at
Mount Saint Vincent University Campus
Halifax, Nova Scotia
A Financial Education Class
Over 6 hours of instruction that can change the rest of your life!
If you are over 40, close to retirement or already retired, you cannot afford to miss this informative program.
Learn what you need to know about these retirement planning issues and more
- Determine if you are ready to retire early
- Integrate your finances with your goals and values
- Use new tax laws to your advantage
- Properly allocate your assets within your retirement plans
- Ask the right questions when evaluating insurance coverage
- Discover how to maximize your income without unnecessary financial risk
- Ensure your estate plan still functions properly under new laws
I attended the seminar Sept. 25/ Oct 2, 2018 and was so happy I did! The information was valuable, the material was well organized, the workbook is a take-home treasure and the instructor was engaging and entertaining. This course not only prompted me to change my action plan for our finances, but also to think differently about the whole life-shift of retirement. Ironically, this course would be even more valuable to those in their 30’s and 40’s because I realize now I’ve missed out on some great opportunities.
My wife and I attended a Joyful Retirement seminar last May. This was the first time my wife attended a financial seminar and she learned many things in the Saturday session. I was also able to learn more about other topics than simply saving money for retirement. The Joyful Retirement session makes you think about more than how much money you need to retire. It was a Saturday well spent.
He was very informative and made the topics interesting and understandable.
Retirement Planing issues to discuss with your financial professional
LIFE PLANNING FOR RETIREMENT
- Traditional vs. New retirement
- How to retire by design (with goals) not by default
- The Retirement Planning Process
- Why you want a cash reserve
- Consideration before you invest
- What are debt investments: Stocks and GICs
- What are equity investments: Stocks and Dividends
- Types and benefits of mutual funds
- What is the appeal of segregated funds and their appeal
- What are Managed portfolios
- What are tax-deferred accounts
- Investment risks
RISK MANAGEMENT & HEALTH CARE
- Prepare for the unexpected
- Key questions to ask in assessing health care risk
- Disability insurance coverage
- Long term care and insurance
- Using life insurance to protect income
- The four buckets approach to tax planning
- Using Registered Retired Retirement Funds (RRIFs)
- When to convert RRSPs to RRIFs
- How a “locked in” RRSP (LIRA) is set up
- Tax friendly ways to withdraw your retirement income
- Breaking down common investments and how each is taxed
- Determine how much money you’ll need
- Early retirement trends
- How long must your money last?
- Estimate your expenses. What’s essential? What’s not?
- Avoiding common mistakes
- Impact of inflation
- Registered Retirement Savings Plans (RRSPs)
- Strategies for Spousal Contributions
- Pension plan options
LEAVING A LEGACY
- The importance of Estate Planning
- Planning for incapacity
- Taxes must be paid
- To probate or not
- Trusts are just for the wealthy, true or false?
- Joint ownership of accounts
- Reducing taxes with gifts to charity
- The high cost of dying without a will
RETIREMENT ROAD BLOCKS AND MISTAKES
- 10 retirement planning mistakes
- Understanding the different types of risk
- Credit and debit in retirement
- How the Tax Free Savings Account (TFSA) works
- Start Canada Pension Plan too early or too late
OPTIONAL CONSULTATION AND ANALYSIS
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
KEY RETIREMENT PLANNING ISSUES
LEARN AT YOUR OWN PACE
PERSONAL CONSULTATION AND ANALYSIS
Author, Speaker and Financial Educator
Glenn Stewardson is an Author, Speaker and Financial Educator. His latest book is Retire Abundantly, the Proven principles to create a more worry free retirement with less stress!
Mr. Stewardson has over 20 years experience motivating and educating people to create a worry free retirement.
Without your help, Glenn, I would never have retired 2 1/2 years ago. Because of you, today I’m outside sitting on my deck, enjoying a good book in the sunshine. You made this possible for me!
— Linda J. Cameron, former Executive Assistant to the President, NSCAD University